Tuesday, January 28, 2014

For Wednesday: Read Chapter 5&6




And Study Vocabulary:


BELOW HAS BEEN MODIFIED - SEE MOST RECENT POST!


We will have a Vocab and Reading TEST next Tuesday (you have a week to study these words)

Your writing assignment has been pushed to MONDAY (from Friday - you're welcome)


Reading schedule:

For Wednesday: Read Chapter 5&6 (33-50)

For Thursday: Read Chapters 7-9 (50-70)

For Friday: Read Chapters 10-12 (70-92)

WEEKEND:

Writing assignment & READ AHEAD or (REREAD) Prep for Chapter 1-12 TEST on Tuesday.


How much I wished to reply fully to this question! How difficult it was to frame any answer! Children can feel, but they cannot analyse their feelings; and if the analysis is partially effected in thought, they know not how to express the result of the process in words. Fearful, however, of losing this first and only opportunity of relieving my grief by imparting it, I, after a disturbed pause, contrived to frame a meagre, though, as far as it went, true response. (19-20)


"How dare I, Mrs. Reed? How dare I? Because it is the TRUTH. You think I have no feelings, and that I can do without one bit of love or kindness; but I cannot live so: and you have no pity. I shall remember how you thrust me back--roughly and violently thrust me back--into the red-room, and locked me up there, to my dying day; though I was in agony; though I cried out, while suffocating with distress, 'Have mercy! Have mercy, Aunt Reed!' And that punishment you made me suffer because your wicked boy struck me--knocked me down for nothing. I will tell anybody who asks me questions, this exact tale. People think you a good woman, but you are bad, hard- hearted. YOU are deceitful!"
Ere I had finished this reply, my soul began to expand, to exult, with the strangest sense of freedom, of triumph, I ever felt. It seemed as if an invisible bond had burst, and that I had struggled out into unhoped-for liberty. Not without cause was this sentiment: Mrs. Reed looked frightened; her work had slipped from her knee; she was lifting up her hands, rocking herself to and fro, and even twisting her face as if she would cry. (30-31)

No comments:

Post a Comment